If you asked me a few years ago, I would have told you that finding the best tennis shoes for flat feet, is not an easy task. Today, after several years of playing tennis almost every day, I now know what to search for and where.
If you too are part of the Flat-foot society, don’t worry! I can help you too. I have done all the hard work for you in compiling this list of the best tennis shoes for flat feet. Just keep reading!
Here’s a table highlighting some potential problems that tennis players with flat feet might encounter:
|Foot Pain||Flat feet can lead to discomfort or pain in the feet due to a lack of arch support, especially after prolonged periods of playing.|
|Ankle Instability||Flat feet can cause overpronation (excessive inward roll of the foot after landing), which can lead to instability and increase the risk of ankle sprains.|
|Shin Splints||Overpronation can put extra stress on the shin bone, leading to inflammation and pain known as shin splints.|
|Achilles Tendonitis||Overpronation can also cause extra stress on the Achilles tendon, potentially leading to inflammation and pain.|
|Knee Pain||The misalignment caused by overpronation can put additional stress on the knees, potentially leading to pain and injuries.|
|Lower Back Pain||The misalignment from flat feet can impact your posture and put a strain on your lower back, potentially causing pain.|
|Reduced Agility||Flat feet might affect your balance and agility on the court, which are critical for tennis.|
Tennis is a game that is mostly liked by youngsters, particularly in the Western world. You do not need to be a professional to you enjoy playing tennis.
And YES, tennis is not only a good game, it is also a great exercise. From a social standpoint, tennis as a sport that is very popular and gathers many people together.
We all love this game and want to play on the courts. So, it causes a huge disappointment when something spoils the game. Flat feet are one of the few things that can stop you from enjoying tennis. Injuries and symptoms can make this fun game very difficult.
Luckily there are answers to these problems, and I will make sure you have the right equipment to play with. If you choose the best tennis shoes for flat feet, you WILL notice the differences.
You are not alone in this! No! About 20-30% of the population experiences these issues.
Our Top Picks For 2023
There are some tennis shoes available in the market to help you solve the problem that is faced by many people who have flat feet. So, the following are my top pick tennis shoes for Flat feet.
Rating of Our Top 5 Picks
|New Balance Men’s 1260V7||9.8/10|
|K-SWISS Men’s Bigshot Light||9.8/10|
|Babolat Men’s Propulse Blast All-Court||9.5/10|
|ASICS Men’s Gel-Challenger 12||9.9/10|
|Adidas Men’s Barricade 2018||9.7/10|
1. ASICS Men’s Gel-Challenger 12 Tennis Shoes – Best Overall
Check on Amazon Check on PlanetsHoup
- Made of Mesh-Synthetic material
- Midsole is made of Solyte material which is a lighter-weight midsole compound than ASICS standard EVA and SpEVA midsoles
- Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL Cushioning System
- Trusstic System technology reduces the weight of the sole unit while retaining the structural integrity of the shoe
- Ortholite Sockliner for moisture management
- Removable Sockliner which can be removed to accommodate a medical orthotic
ASICS is a brand that is known for its stability. They outdid themselves with the updated version of the classic Asics Gel Challenger 11. The Asics Gel Challenger series has been traditionally known as some of the best tennis shoes for flat feet, and the Gel Challenger 12 is best their best yet.
Traditionally, Asics use EVA material for the midsole. For this particular model, they switched to Solyte for the midsole to reduce weight and they nailed it! The Solyte works and the shoes are contagious in the air. People who have flat feet should be interested in the strong arch support that ASICS Gel Challenger 12 provides.
For people who usually suffered heel pain, Asics Gel Challenger 12 displays a gel cushion that decreases vibration when landing on the ground. For you, it will feel like you are walking on clouds. It is one of the most popular lines of tennis shoes.
Take a look at my pair in this photo, it’s really 5 stars:
2. K-SWISS Men’s Bigshot Light – Best-Selling Pick for Flat Feet
Check on Amazon Check on PlanetsHoup Check on DvaSata
- Made of 100% synthetic, leather, and textile material
- Designed for flat feet with a rubber sole
- The insole is removable
- They are extremely comfortable
- They have excellent stability and support
This is the favorite shoe of my best friend Nikola. K-Swiss Bigshot is one of the best products in the tennis shoe market. The K-Swiss brand is one of the leading manufacturers in terms of creativity and design. The Bigshot should not be ignored. It is a tennis shoe that should be kept in mind if you are facing problems with your flat feet.
You will never be too sweaty with this tennis shoe design and technology. These shoes include the cold-flow system that is created with shoes, so that air can reach the foot and gives them airflow to them.
It also removes moisture from feet through a layer of moisture control in the sole. This brings the feet a clean and moisture-free feel inside. The product is comfortable to wear and play tennis.
To help support your feet properly while playing, these tennis shoes have a soft mid-foot. As a backing for the arc, the shoe is superb and offers everything that is needed to play on the field for a long time.
The shoe is lightweight and sturdy. They are built for the type of support and stability that hard-court tennis players must use, which is widely recognized by tennis players. They have a good design and suit each one.
These shoes are considered particularly useful for lateral movement in the field and provide excellent foot support. Everything is lightweight and made with the best materials. They are available in three color combinations and a variety of different sizes.
3. New Balance Men’s 1260V7 Running Shoe
Check on Amazon Check on Kiky
- It is made of 100% synthetic material.
- It has a rubber outsole made in the USA.
- The shaft measures approximately low-top from the arch.
- Fuel cell and Abzorb midsole.
- No-sew material application.
- Post-applied dual density.
New Balance 1260V7 are exceptionally strong and include everything that you need in your tennis shoes. I have 2 pairs in different colors, and have already won when I don my blue-set 🙂
These shoes come with the latest technology that will help you solve your flat foot problems. The sole is equipped with ABZROB paddings. This spreads the impact well and helps you recover quickly from the impact.
The Fuel Cell midsole does a good job of acting as a trampoline. When talking about fit, comfort, and stability, you can expect the best from these shoes. The setup is quite comfortable with ample swings, making it suitable for all types of footwear.
Further, it is possible to tie the shoe tighter and use a lace block to prevent the heel from slipping. The materials used in the construction are very lightweight. The breathable mesh feels great and keeps the foot dry for a long time. Overall, these shoes provide optimal support and comfort.
4. Adidas Men’s Barricade 2018 Tennis Shoe
Check on eBay
- Shaft measures approximately low-top from the arch
- It has a seamless meshed upper designed with areas of support and stretches to help ensure a custom fit that adapts to every move.
- Soft and stretchable tongue for a comfort fit
- Adiprene+ in the forefoot maintains propulsion and efficiency
- Abrasion-resistant Adituff wraps around the toe and medial forefoot to help protect against foot drag that occurs during serves, volleys, and extreme lateral movements
Adidas is one of the leading manufacturers of sports shoes and their tennis shoes are no different. This pair is one of the highest quality products available in the market. The company guarantees and offers buyers complete security when purchasing their products. These tennis shoes are of high quality and provide great comfort when used.
These shoes were first introduced in professional tournaments, during the 2018 Australian Open Grand Slam. They were used by some of the best players during the tournament. Barricade’s “setup” has been featured on Adidas tennis shoes for some time. It is built gently to give support to the most optimal foot center, which is very good news for people who have flat feet.
Part of this tennis shoe’s name refers to the fatigue system. It not only has effective shock absorption but also the use of kinetic energy for an additional boost. The Adidas Barricade features a smoother and longer upper to hold the top of the foot as you move. Adidas puts a comfortable but durable material beneath the feet.
This allows you to easily move around the court. To support acute lateral movement and running to the net and back, Adidas uses an abrasion-resistant “Adituff” that wraps around the toe and tip to protect the foot.
5. Babolat Men’s Propulse Blast All-Court Tennis Shoes
Check on Amazon Check on DvaSata
- Babolat Men’s Propulse Blast Tennis Shoes are designed for supportive and comfortable performance.
- Power Straps.
- It has a kompressor system to enhance cushioning.
- Michelin Performance Outsole.
The absolute masterminds did it again with the Babolat Propulse tennis shoes. In the beginning, I really didn’t like them. But I have come around. These shoes are SO SO SO GOOD! They’re different from other tennis shoes for sure. Not only do they look good while wearing (and boy do they!), but they also offer amazing protection and comfort. As one of the best tennis shoes for flat feet, you really can’t ask for more.
An excellent feature of Propulse tennis shoes is the dynamic response system built on them. This helps support the toes and balls of the feet during movement.
The shoes also feature a special cushion design that supports the entire foot comfortably by reducing the impact on the arch. This is just what you need to help reduce the impact of having a flat foot.
Another nice feature of Babolat is the four-point support provided by the loom-style ankle. This keeps your feet in the right alignment and provides excellent protection. It means that you can stay on the field longer without any pain to end the game.
Babolat Propolse tennis shoes are a great choice for all tennis players with flat feet, whether you are a casual or serious sports fan.
The support of the arches and the general protection provided is incredible and makes them recommended on the list of best tennis shoes for flat feet.
Best Flat Foot Shoes for Ladies
- Brooks Adrenaline GTS Series: Brooks running shoe line offers excellent arch support and cushioning, making them comfortable for all-day wear. They’re also designed with GuideRails technology to help control overpronation
- New Balance 990v5: With excellent stability and cushioning, these shoes are known for their comfortable fit and durability, making them great for walking or running
- ASICS Gel-Kayano Series: These shoes have excellent cushioning and support, with a design aimed at controlling overpronation. They’re well-suited for running or walking
- Vionic Walker Classic Shoes: These walking shoes have a podiatrist-designed footbed for advanced arch support, making them suitable for women with flat feet. They are also approved by the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA)
- Saucony Guide Series: These running shoes offer great stability features, including a strong heel counter and midsole technology to support overpronation
- Birkenstock Sandals: If you’re looking for sandals, Birkenstock’s footbeds are known for their excellent arch support and deep heel cup. The cork footbed molds to your feet over time for a custom fit
What are the things to consider when buying tennis shoes for flat feet?
When buying tennis shoes like this, it’s important to look for specific features that offer the right kind of support. Here are some key factors to consider:
- Arch Support: Probably THE MOST CRUCIAL feature for people with flat feet. Look for tennis shoes that offer good arch support to alleviate the stress on the flat foot
- Stability: Shoes designed for flat feet often have features like a stabilizing shank in the midsole to PREVENT EXCESSIVE FOOT ROTATION. Save your ankles from needless injuries
- Shock Absorption: This is especially important in tennis shoes because of the high-impact nature of the sport. Good shock absorption can help PREVENT PAIN AND INJURIES. Never again be shocked by your shoes!
- Motion Control: Some shoes are specifically designed to LIMIT OVERPRONATION, which is common in us flat-feeters. Look for “motion control” shoes if you have a severe flat foot and overpronate.
- Fit and Comfort: The shoe should fit well and be comfortable to wear. The length and width should be suitable for your feet. A shoe that is too tight can cause discomfort and exacerbate foot issues, while a shoe that is too loose won’t provide the necessary support. And remember, don’t be shy to exchange the shoes if they don’t fit right!
- Material and Breathability: Choose shoes made of good quality materials. They should allow your feet to breathe to prevent sweat buildup. I know I don’t want to worry about Athletes-foot or blisters ever again.
- Removable Insoles: Some tennis shoes come with removable insoles, which can be replaced with custom orthotics if needed for added support. I highly recommend getting customs made!
- Durability: Tennis can be hard on shoes, so it’s important to choose a pair that is durable and will hold up to the rigors of the sport. Stop throwing away your sneakers, and get shoes to last!
What brand of shoes has the best arch support?
Many shoe brands are known for offering strong arch support, which can be particularly beneficial for individuals with flat feet or those who stand or walk for extended periods:
- New Balance: Known for their excellent arch and heel support, New Balance shoes come in a wide range of sizes and widths to accommodate different foot shapes.
- Brooks: Many of Brooks’ shoes are recognized for their excellent arch support, especially their running shoes. Models like the Brooks Adrenaline GTS line offer particularly high arch support
- Asics: Asics has several shoes that offer great arch support, including their Gel-Kayano line
- Saucony: Saucony offers strong arch support, especially in their running shoes. The Saucony Guide and Saucony Omni are among the models praised for their support
- Birkenstock: For sandals with excellent arch support, Birkenstock is a go-to brand. Their footbeds are designed to conform to the foot’s shape over time for customized support.
- Dansko: Dansko clogs and other shoes are well-regarded in professions where standing for long periods is common (like nursing), thanks to their superior arch support and comfort.
Remember, the “best” shoe for arch support can vary depending on individual foot shape, specific needs, and personal comfort. What works well for one person may not work as well for another.
Always try on shoes and walk around in them before purchasing to ensure they provide the comfort and support you need. It’s also a good idea to consult with a podiatrist or a specialist shoe store if you have specific foot care needs or concerns.
Do flat feet affect tennis?
Flat feet, or fallen arches, can potentially affect your tennis game, but the extent to which it does so can vary greatly between individuals. Here are a few ways flat feet can impact your performance:
- Foot Pain and Fatigue: Flat feet can often lead to foot and leg discomfort or fatigue, particularly after prolonged periods of standing, running, or playing a sport like tennis. The lack of an arch can cause the feet to roll inward (overpronation), leading to discomfort and increased strain on the ankles and lower legs. Don’t overtighten your laces either, and make sure to let your feet breathe.
- Injury Risk: Overpronation can affect the alignment of your legs, potentially leading to an increased risk of injuries. I know my ankles are pure elasticity, so good shoes help minimize injuries such as ankle sprains, shin splints, or Achilles tendonitis.
- Performance: The instability caused by flat feet has affected my balance and agility on the court. With poor shoes, you really will find that your footwork or speed is slightly hindered
However, having flat feet doesn’t mean you can’t excel in tennis or other sports. Many athletes with flat feet have successful careers. The key is to manage the condition effectively. Here’s how:
- Proper Footwear: Wear tennis shoes specifically designed for flat feet that offer strong arch support, stability, and cushioning! This is the MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR
- Orthotics: Consider using custom orthotic inserts in your shoes for extra arch support and cushioning. Trust me, these will change your life
- Strength and Conditioning: Strengthening your leg muscles and improving your overall conditioning can also help manage symptoms and improve performance. Exercises that strengthen the foot, ankle, and lower leg muscles can be particularly beneficial. Even the best shoes will not save you if your body lacks to do what your mind wants
- Warm-Up and Stretch: Always take time to warm up and stretch before playing to avoid injuries. I take at least 15 minutes to do jumping jacks, short sprints, and mobility warmups (Hips and Shoulders are a MUST)
- Professional Advice: If you’re experiencing persistent pain or other issues related to flat feet, it’s a good idea to seek advice from a medical professional such as a podiatrist or physiotherapist. Don’t tough it out
Do any pro athletes have flat feet?
Yes, many professional athletes across various sports have flat feet. Despite the challenges it might present, they have managed to excel in their sports through appropriate training, footwear, and sometimes the use of orthotics.
I’m sure you have heard of legendary basketball player, Michael Jordan. He was known to have flat feet, but that didn’t stop him from having an extraordinary career in the NBA.
Not a basketball fan? How about, Lionel Messi. A growth hormone deficiency as a child, which often results in flat feet.
Both Messi and Joran are considered one of, if not the GOATs of their sports. Both were able to reach these heights despite their deficiency. So no more excuses, and get the gear to enjoy your sport
Are flat feet better for running?
Flat-feeters aren’t inherently better or worse at running – it depends on the individual and how their body copes with the specific mechanics of their foot structure. That being said, flat feet can pose certain challenges for runners. Here’s why:
- Pronation: Flat-feeters tend to overpronate, which means your foot will roll inward excessively when they run. This can lead to imbalances and misalignments up the kinetic chain, affecting the ankles, knees, hips, and even lower back. Over time, this can lead to an increased risk of injuries such as plantar fasciitis, shin splints, Achilles tendonitis, and knee pain. Do not let this discourage you, just get the right equipment to persevere.
- Stability: Flat feet can lack the natural arch support that provides stability during running. As a result, those with flat feet may experience more fatigue or discomfort during long runs – listen to your body, and know the difference between fatigue and structural pain
- Shock Absorption: The arch of the foot acts as a natural shock absorber. When the arch is low or non-existent, the foot’s ability to absorb the impact of each step can be diminished, which could potentially lead to joint pain. But ultimately, the best way to strengthen your joints is to run, just be mindful on the longer runs.
Flat feet can be a real problem if you have them but that doesn’t mean you can’t play tennis or have to avoid sports all together. Choosing the right type of tennis shoes, designed specifically for dealing with flat feet will help you recover quickly and keep you playing longer.
The shoes listed above will suit you with high-quality construction and support. These shoes have been selected as the best by myself, thanks to their design and support.
They will give you a sense of relief and comfort and will help reduce your foot pain while keeping you playing. So pick a pair of shoes and say goodbye to the pain keeping you from your tennis fun.
The tennis shoes for flat-foot players compiled in this review, are the best shoes in performance and have different pros, so pick the pair best suited to your needs.
As a final recommendation, I would say that the Adidas Men’s Barricade 2018 Tennis Shoe is the best among all and my personal favorite. In my opinion, they are the most suitable for flat-footed players.